[App_rpt-users] Lessons being learned...

Mike mm at midnighteng.com
Tue Jul 17 16:14:04 UTC 2018

>The goal is to off-load a handful of $400+  equally-oddly-custom-programmed multi-port controllers to >reduce rack
space, variables, power consumption... most interfaced with RA-35 or
RA-40, and testing a >newish comprehensive "pi-hat" out of Canada.

Being that your goal is somewhat the same as mine was some time ago...

I might suggest not using the Pi for primary radio control. To
'cantankerous' so to speak.

I said a long time ago when everyone went for the small micros that I
would never put my 'time-on' these devices since you are stuffing 10lbs
of stuff into a 5lb package.

But never to I want to stand in the way of development for anyone to
figure out a way to 'do it'.

It has been done and it's great. But not reliable enough for me everyday
with the things 'I DO', your mileage may vary !

Been using Intel atom D2700 boards with 2 cores 4gb ram using Parallel
port for i/o on a 12v power supply for 5 years now for radio systems.
Somewhat limitless for most of the stuff we do and experiment with.

The cost factor for me is no different for the path I took vs Pi's and
BBB's but much easier to work with and plenty of resources to do it
with. I'm not looking to update them anytime soon either. Utill a Pi is
out there with the same resources, I'll stick to what I have and just
play with the Pi's for cute novel things.

So they might use 50-70% more power than a Pi3b+  and 4 times the size,
but I get a repayment in the form of time messing with it and available
resources. If I have the need for something more powerful, I can now
make use of Virtual ASL installs on VPS to 'get-r-done'.

Just my opinion, but it works for me.

...mike/kb8jnm.