[App_rpt-users] Is this possible? - Using a radio remotely with an IP phone on a private network

Noah Chalker ke5vql at gmail.com
Thu Jul 19 03:57:16 UTC 2018

Hello,

 While it is not ham radio related, the university I attend and work for is
considering putting a secondary aviation radio at the sattelite campus of
ours where we do flight training. We have a radio at the main campus to
talk to our aircraft but the aircraft at our sattelite campus are out of
range of the main campus. I thought ROIP (AllStar) would be an
effective way to use a radio at the sattelite campus from the main campus.
The concept would be like a Remote Communications Outlet (RCO) that is
currently used in aviation. I would like to have it so that the radio can
be used from the main campus using an IP phone and all ran through the
school's network. All this is through a private node of course and not
through the all star *network.* Is this possible? Particularly the part
with using the IP phone (I don't think it is a good idea to link the two
radios). Any suggestions, guidance, and links to documentation on how to do
this would be appreciated!

73's

Noah KE5VQL