[App_rpt-users] - Pi-GPIO pins COR/PTT

Joe Puma kd2nfc at gmail.com
Fri Jul 20 22:58:45 UTC 2018

I don’t get what all the resistance is when discussing it on his group. its not a fantasy, or a fallacy, there is nothing wrong with using the gpio of the raspberry pi and its quite easy to implement, you don’t even have to solder the cmxxx chip. as a matter of fact, on other computer/radio projects its your only option like with SVXLink. Its a popular topic and being asked about because people have a need, why shun it as a useful function. I respect everyone but I read some statements that were a little off key in the spirit of being a ham radio enthusiast. It almost felt like I was in the support group of a commercial software product and was asking a question that violated a SLA, lmao.

You did good Steve by at least starting its development on the channel drivers, when I found them I assumed they were in dev but workable, they did work. With the Baofeng 888 combination the audio opamp takes 3V to power, as far as voltage its perfect for RPi COR and if not, we are skilled enough to figure out a circuit for another radio; use a transistor to switch ground. You also need to include parts doing a RPi>CMXXX>BAOFENG888 setup too.

I don’t have a problem with the USB FOB, I have one, did the mod and built it into my custom node. I would of wired it to the RPi which was two inches away with ease if there were official channel drivers that support it from either distro. The worry about any RF on the RPi is silly too, all the electronics are susceptible to RF, the naked Cmxxx chip and any USB audio already has an issue with the RF from the nearby radio. thats enough of a challenge for some.

So why even care about the RPi GPIO?  at some point in the future you might not even need a radio to integrate with the RPi, imagine that. The Pi can already transmit with a GPIO pin. You can modulate with enough power to use around the house, look at https://github.com/F5OEO/rpitx <https://github.com/F5OEO/rpitx> …and it won’t be long before a RPi adds audio in to the hardware and even if they never do there are other micro computers that do. I though us hams are suppose to think outside the box.

Joe
kd2nfc