[App_rpt-users] Squelch Tail Crash Elimination

John W Benedict John at ke5rs.com
Wed Jun 6 19:31:18 UTC 2018

Geoff, Steve and other curious,

My Yaesu DR-1 repeater has been originally configured for HamVOIP using the RPi3, Simple USB with the ComSpec TS64 at the URIx to generate the PL for TX. Typical squelch setting, not opened at the repeater receiver. The cable interface, custom pinout comes right off the stock repeater 15pin connector connected to the 25pin connector on the URIx.  It all works very good.  As a standalone repeater.
HamVOIP does has a feature, “rxaudiodelay” in SimpleUSB that delays the audio eliminating the squelch crash.  That also works well…
The repeater system works very well as a standalone repeater but… with network traffic such as connected links including Echolink, occasionally I get a little audio flutter, hesitation like dropouts and sometimes the hesitation, like stuttering, the time builds into larger delays like a couple to few seconds. This has been driving us nuts… I have a couple Linux sharp ham buddies near me who have been helping me.  We have checked the Roadrunner bandwidth and the Pi CPU usage right during the audio flutter activity and all seems well capable with plenty to spare should not be a problem or cause.

It was suggested by another friend in the area I try the ASL image with Debian on a computer. I purchased the DELL SFF 64GB solid state drive and installed the ASL image from Allstar now all up and running I think may have cured the audio flutter problem but now having the squelch crash feature.

Using the Tone Squelch at the user end will probably work that but I thought I like to take care of it at the repeater transmitter side if I can.

That’s where I’m at now.

At this point I may investigate the discriminator audio, pick it off in the receiver and use USBRadio configuration suggested by Chuck.  If I can get motivated 😊.

I really appreciate all the help and replies.

Thank you.

John de KE5RS
[ke5rs]