[App_rpt-users] Additional Info for ALL on Echolink troubleshooting

Mike mm at midnighteng.com
Sat May 26 23:39:23 UTC 2018

I guess I should not take for granted very many things on this but
neither should anyone else.

Let me state something that everyone should realize but perhaps does not
with ASL nodes at 'home' with echolink.

Your cellphone equipped with echolink should NOT be set to ''run
echolink in the background'' when you are at home and connected to the
same wifi that your echolink node is. (you could turn your wifi off on
your phone and wait 15m+)

So when you come home, and echolink is really still running in the
background,

and your phone sees that you are connectable to your home network.

It does connect to your wifi automatically and with echolink running in
the background, it creates a port clash. And your not even using it.
Even with proper port forwarding. And you will think it is your ISP.
Works sometimes and not others.

Simple as that. The default set-up is to run in the background just like
wifi to connect automatically when it hears it.

It does not matter that one is a '-L' or '-R' and the other is personal
call. 'cause they are trying to use the same ports.

Think about that the next time you troubleshoot one !

_It really should be the first thing looked for in home asl/echolink
node connectivity_.

For all the years I have been subscribed reading this list,  I have
watched EL be the number one trouble on this list, again and again and
this is the root of most of it with 'home nodes'. But it is just simple
networking overlooking all that is happening behind the nat.

So there you go... one good instance to have a node in the cloud/vps. LOL

Have a great Holiday Weekend !

...mike/kb8jnm