[App_rpt-users] Audio Delay on Xmit with new repeater build

jerutley at gmail.com jerutley at gmail.com
Thu Nov 22 01:20:37 UTC 2018

Hello list!

I've been working on building our new repeater using AllStar on a Pi-3 as
the controller, URI-X as the audio interface, and a pair of CDM-1250's as
XMit and receive radios.  At first, when I set everything up, all was
working wonderfully.  But now, after being up a couple of days, I'm hearing
a delay in the transmit - I key up, announce my callsign, unkey, and I
actually hear the last bit of my transmit audio as an "echo".  Doing some
research thru the mailing list, it seems to indicate this *might* be the
system being a little underpowered - is this a regular occurrence with a Pi
in duplex mode?  Would upgrading to something more powerful help?  Been
looking at something like the Qotom or Protectl small form factor PCs - but
I'm a little concerned about they would hold up in the heat.  Our building
at the tower site does not have any cooling in it, and it can get rather
warm during the summertime.

Another question - can the AllStar version of Asterisk directly play
MP3-formatted audio?  I'm considering some functions using Amazon's Polly
Text-to-Speech service, which provides MP3 files, so I'm wondering if
Asterisk could play them directly, or if I'd have to use sox to convert them
to another format first.

Thanks!

Jeremy, NQ0M