[App_rpt-users] NON- C-media Sound card and Pi GPIO

Benjamin Naber Benjamin at Project23D.com
Sun Apr 21 18:18:37 UTC 2019

SimpleUSB and USBradio are/were able to use parallel port IO pins for
PTT,COS,relay control, input, etc. These were specified in the
usbradio.conf or simpleusb.conf

Lest bad history is repeated, knowing it will help solve MANY issues!

C-Media USB IC were used as the creators of ASL did not have to write
code to work with many other sound devices out there, sticking with one
device created a standard that eliminated issue with this sound card,
that sound card and so on.

Jim and some of his contemporaries believed that, at the time, the C-
media devices were far superior to any on-board sound or PCI sound
card. I believe this waxed that belief: if they used a universal sound
card, "why mess with the 100's of other sound out devices" question.

Using another sound in/out solution is a road not much traveled. Often
the motives are revealed for not wanting to using certain items is
found to be money-related, which has the potential to indicate the user
wants to take other short cuts, and in the end that person gives up
entirely, or they end up with a poor quality system.

Let's get real for a second. Anything worth doing is worth the
resources(time and money). ANY good performing ASL node is going to
cost them. Genuine C-Media sound fobs are not that expensive in the
grand scheme of things. Dare I mention that anyone using a beofang,
whatever-chinese junk for node radios are really asking for trouble.
Don't baulk at that when you have a $800 phone in your pocket! See the
previous paragraph.

As in anything else- quality, time, and cost; you can only have two
benefit with one 'suffering'.

As the other gent stated, during your planning phase, boil down *what*
and *why* you are trying to achieve. If they do indeed have a good
foundation, you will achieve your goal. Think outside the box,
resourcefulness is the trait of many goal achievers!

Benjamin, KB9LFZ