[App_rpt-users] GMRS linked Repeater network using HAMVoIP

fwbray at mminternet.com fwbray at mminternet.com
Mon Feb 11 18:45:48 UTC 2019

On 2019-02-07 06:38, Jeff DePolo wrote:

> Pirated software is probably the least of his problems.
>
> § 95.1733   Prohibited GMRS uses.
>
>  (8) Messages which are both conveyed by a wireline control link and
>    transmitted by a GMRS station;

When the FCC last revisited the GMRS regulations, it expressly declined
to clarify this and certain other provisions. There are arguably
conflicts between this section and others that expressly authorize
various forms of remote control.

However, even reading the above-language to apply to things like
traditional tone and DC remotes and their modern equivalents, a wireline
link that merely coveys audio, such as to voter, could be found
permissible so long as it can't/doesn't control the
transmitter/repeater, especially if that is already under automatic
control.

It isn't my intent to start a legal debate about this -- just to point
out that there is ambiguity that the FCC declined to address and that
reasonable people can interpret the provision differently.

KE6CD