[App_rpt-users] GMRS linked Repeater network using HAMVoIP

Brad Trogdon Brad at trogdon.org
Mon Feb 18 17:20:09 UTC 2019

Thank you for the reply but you provide no answers to my very specific
questions.

Please see my reply to your questions and comments noted by ">>>"

Has anything been settled with HamVoIP as an attempt to run off with Jim’s
work? As of this date I do not believe it has been.
>>> What does HamVoIP have to do with the linking of GMRS Repeaters?

In a shared repeater/simplex channel environment, it is always good to be
able to monitor the input before keying up a repeater. In a linked system
that’s not possible unless you do the BCLO in each repeater. Never saw that
work out too well mixed mode.
>>> Not sure you understand how radios work.  If a station is strong /
close enough to the repeater to be heard then they are otherwise the users
of the repeater users will talk over the "Unheard users".

https://www.law.cornell.edu/cfr/text/47/95.1749
>>> Cornell is not the authority. Federal Register in its entirety is
https://www.federalregister.gov/documents/2017/08/29/2017-17395/personal-radio-service-reform#sectno-citation-%E2%80%8995.1701
.  The URL which you provided references " telephone connection is
prohibited".  What leads you to believe that telephone is connected?  In my
specific situation Telco is not even connected to the building.  So no
chance of violation.

So if you have an organized group or club engaged in linking GMRS repeaters
together and one of them is in violation related to telco, does that mean
the collective network is 9/10 legal?
>>> 1. GMRS Repeater linking as an ability or practice is not an "Organized
Group".  2. No, the one person is the offender not the others whom are in
compliance.  Its against the rules to use foul language on radio
frequencies.  If another station is and you hear it but don't reciprocate
does that make you and offender of the rules?  No and that logic is silly
if you believe true.

>>> Are you questioning your local GMRS folks whom are charging for access
(Membership) to their closed system that is using apt_rpt (AllStar)?
*www.NorthGeorgiaGMRS.com
<http://www.northgeorgiagmrs.com/>* is a single organized group of 30 GMRS
Linked repeaters.  I'm not a betting person but I would venture to guess
that DSL is in the mix.

<<< FCC Correspondence via email on the topic. >>>
Case Id: HD0000002998556

audio of two or more GMRS repeaters via an internet connection is permitted
or prohibited under the part 95 rules.

Could we please get some sort of clarification as to whether this is a
strictly prohibited action per part 95 rules?

Thank you.

Solution Description: Dear Mr. *******,

GMRS stations may not be interconnected to the public switched telephone
network as per 95.127. However, proposing to use a VoIP link between the
two repeater sites is permissible if the link is considered
non-interconnected VoIP. VoIP can either be an interconnected VoIP service
or non-interconnected VoIP service, see the definitions below. It is my
understanding that if your internet provider is the cable company, it’s
fine; but if you have DSL or dial-up internet from the phone company, it
isn’t.

The second method using RF to link the two repeater sites is allowed so
long as the link meets the rules and limitations for fixed stations
pursuant to the Part 95 rules.

§64.601

(23) Non-interconnected VoIP service. The term “non-interconnected VoIP
service”—

(i) Means a service that—

(A) Enables real-time voice communications that originate from or terminate
to the user's location using Internet protocol or any successor protocol;
and

(B) Requires Internet protocol compatible customer premises equipment; and

(ii) Does not include any service that is an interconnected VoIP service.

§9.3

Interconnected VoIP service. An interconnected Voice over Internet protocol
(VoIP) service is a service that:

(1) Enables real-time, two-way voice communications;

(2) Requires a broadband connection from the user's location;

(3) Requires Internet protocol-compatible customer premises equipment
(CPE); and

(4) Permits users generally to receive calls that originate on the public
switched telephone network and to terminate calls to the public switched
telephone network.

The rules may be found at the following website:
https://www.fcc.gov/general/rules-regulations-title-47

Should you have any further questions, or need additional information,
please submit a request through https://esupport.fcc.gov/onlinerequest.htm or
call the FCC Licensing Support Center at 1-877-480-3201, selecting option 2
after the main menu.

Sincerely,

FCC Licensing Support Center