[App_rpt-users] AI to control an ASL system principe and question on ASL

Mike mm at midnighteng.com
Sun Jan 6 07:12:25 UTC 2019

I actually did this 5 years ago.

Called the one on my ACID box PeaterStein (repeater Einstein)

I used AGI scripts and google STT/TTS and that was problematic then.
Probably not much anymore.

Once you have the converted speech, it's just a matter of conditionally
evaluating text and executing it.

Simple scripting really.

The needed power is in the STT/TTS. And that is all external to the
box.  Requires internet access for the conversions.  In the example
video, it is sending speech to google, google sends back the text. You
evaluate the text returned. Microsoft and a few others have somewhat
open dev platforms for STT/TTS.

It really requires less cpu than you think but will increase your
internet bandwidth a bit depending on how you use it.

The advantage with the newer tech is you can have a local device looking
for your keyword without sending all the audio STT in monitor looking
for it. I had to use a dtmf digit to pay attention to save the bandwidth.

I'm sure you guys will have fun with it when he writes up a how2, but
when I was experimenting, it became quite cantankerous as google
developer criteria changed almost monthly and required either code
re-writes or account changes or both. Ended up using MS STT and Google
TTS. But it worked quite nicely. Had it tied to the wolfram db for
specific info searches (another dev program).

Lost interest in the whole thing. I find it better to just dtmf most of
what I need as far as running the node. The things I was using it for on
my asterisk box would not be allowed on ham radio. It's not going to do
anything you can't do with just a script because you are just using the
STT to execute your scripts. Example... I can press 3 dtmf's and get the
same weather and a TTS engine speaks it for me. Compare that to speaking
the keyword and waiting, giving it the actual voice command, and then
wait for the response.

I do still have a asterisk box on centos 6 using the old code. Haven't
used it for years, may not work now because I doubt my google dev
account works the same without a code re-write?

We actually call these things interactive voice response systems. It's
NOT 'AI'.

To actually be AI, it would require that it could re-program it's own
programming without human intervention.

(change it's own code,not data, in a leaning process)

The STT accuracy has to be much better now so you might not need to
create much of a translate table for words that come back commonly
spelled a bit different. But can be a issue if you don't keep it simple.

The early days of speech recognition, we had to use a multitude of
variations of the same audio and used the best match (fuzzy logic) in
compare for results. Very sloppy but that was in the late 80's & 90's.
When the first true STT started evolving in the later 90's early 00's,
it required huge translation tables.

Anyway, Have Fun, it's nice leaning experience for ya. I find no real
value in it for 'repeater' use. Just a 'COOL' factor.

Perhaps one of you will take it one step further ? Good Luck !

...mike/kb8jnm