[App_rpt-users] Voice control options

William Franzin wfranzin at gmail.com
Sun Jan 6 13:52:54 UTC 2019

Good morning,

We're also keen AllStarLink/app_rpt users/experimenters here in Winnipeg
and Dan mentioned a discussion about the work I did on here, so thought I'd
fill in the blanks. Also joined this list.

I started with Google Assistant and Amazon Alexa and really just wanted to
control devices using voice, the "what's the weather" was just an added
bonus, but all that requires internet.

I also liked the speed of running the assistant code in real-time, as you
speak that's actually a stream to Google/Amazon so the results you get are
immediate vs rec/upload/download/play.

For the majority of ham radio actual "needs" in voice control the Picovoice
Rhino project speech-to-intent would do a great job. If you haven't check
it out: https://github.com/Picovoice

Also watch their video: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WadKhfLyqTQ which I
think is exactly what we'd want from a ham radio setup. Wakework "Hey
Repeater" "Turn on ..".

All of that great capability runs entirely on the device/server/reflector,
no internet or web service call to Google/Amazon is needed. And it produces
this simple output too:

{
  "type": "espresso",
  "size": "small",
  "numberOfShots": "2",
  "sugar": "a lot",
  "milk": "some"
}

We should do this, my 2010 Ford Escape has had Microsoft Sync voice control
and it's nothing new. Everything has voice control these days, and it
actually works really well now.

The only challenge in ham is we need to come up with some standard commands
so if you're visiting here you know the repeater has this capability and
how to work it.

If anything I'm just glad the videos I posted a while back got this topic
going again. Certainly not the first person to poke around with voice -
it's just really easy now to implement this.

Thanks to all the folks working on AllStarLink/app_rpt too. I just built a
firmware image with AllStarLink for a Sierra Radio Systems CommServer board
and it was apt-get-easy
--let-me-drink-my-coffee-while-the-hard-work-gets-done ;)

Thanks,
William VE4VR