[App_rpt-users] Making a node with a baofeng 888s 2018 ver9 radio

Bryan Fields Bryan at bryanfields.net
Sat Jul 13 19:10:35 UTC 2019

On 7/13/19 11:49 AM, Ben Cranston wrote:
> Greetings, Has anyone come across this “new” variant of the 888s radio?
> I’ve been looking over the guide(s) on modifying them for use with AllStar
> and cannot for the life of me figure out where several of the signals can
> be picked up..  Here’s an image of the back of the main board in the
> radio:

The only thing about these radios which is good is the price.  In RF, audio,
and interface performance they are truly terrible.

I've attempted to get discriminator audio out of them, and it's impossible as
the entire radio from RF input to audio output is on a single chip.  This
means you're limited to using a simpleusb to drive them.

That said, yes, they change the boards all the time, and there are about a
dozen different variants of the 888 radio I've seen from different sellers.
But at under 10 USD per radio, even Macklemore can buy two.  If during probing
around, you blow it up, toss it and start over with the other one :)

I've not seen this latest version you describe, but it looks like you may have
to use some wirewrap wire and come off the IC on the component side of the
board directly now.  This isn't hard, but will require some skills to solder
to the pins of the SMD parts directly.

Happy probing,
--
Bryan Fields