[App_rpt-users] Installing AllStarLink - Near to give up !

Rachid Karroo rkarroo at gmail.com
Sat Mar 2 09:23:49 UTC 2019

Good day
I am new to AllStarLink and the plan was to hook it on our local VHF
frequencies. After doing some reading I found ALLStarLink and decided to
have a go mainly because of its great features.Well I have just spent the
past 4 days trying to install.

At first I went on the Wiki page and read the FAQ's and the How to's. I
then grabbed the latest AllStarLink installer for x86/AMD and installed on
a new hard drive of my laptop. I had my first issue where the hard disk
would not boot because of some kernel issue. After consulting my best
friend Google, a solution was found and the install could therefore begin.

First issue - changing the root password. Although having changed it at
start, it would not accept same after rebooting. So I went back to using
"repeater". The first time installation process went well (node number,
node password,etc). I followed the procedure to open Port 4569 on the
router I could even see my callsign appearing on the Node List meaning that
it was working.
Second issue - Echolink - I did set all the parameters correctly and my
callsign appeared on Echolink. I tried testing the connectivity with my
Android phone and I ended up with Timeout. The Ports 5198 and 5199 are open
on the router. Reverting back to SVXLink, it was working fine.
Third Issue - I tried to install AllMon using the Add-On script and
supposedly the config files were copied etc.. When I tried to edit the
AllMon config, I had a file not found.
I went back to each and every installation steps all over again and all was
fine. Searching the Wiki did not bring any solution to my problem.

I have today installed AllStarLink on a PI 3. I watched and followed every
steps from a video by K1GMM on Youtube. And it is still not working. I had
the same issues above and NO solutions found.

It is very frustrating after having spent a little more than 4 days in
trying to make the software work. I do not know if I can get help on this
forum before finally deciding to give up. I am not an expert in Debian or
Asterisk and I guess that's may be where the problem lies.

73's

Rachid
3B8FP