[App_rpt-users] How to clone SD card for R Pi

Ken Koster n7ipb at wetnet.net
Thu Mar 14 01:10:10 UTC 2019

On Wednesday, March 13, 2019 12:23:55 PM PDT Lu V wrote:
> Yea I am about to do the same (dd) but I see two partitions pop up when I
> plug in the SD card . Which do you back up? Or is my w10 doing something
> odd?
>
> Sent from my iPhone, Lu Vencl

You copy the whole disk image which includes the partition information and
boot block.

That does mean you need sufficient storage to image the complete disk.   For me
that means a minimum of 32G of memory since that's my typical card size.

The initial copy takes a long time.

Then you can use this script: https://github.com/Drewsif/PiShrink to shrink the
image down to the minimum size needed.   The end result is an image (usually
about 4G in size) that when flashed to a new card will autoexpand just like the
standard RPi images.

Ken - N7IPB
Email: n7ipb at wetnet.net
JID: n7ipb at jabber.wetnet.net
SvxLink Repeaters: http://pnw220.wetnet.net
PGP Sig: F42B EF90 3CD3 31C7 3056  122E 993A 7B2E 5138 C42A
“Contrariwise,' continued Tweedledee, 'if it was so, it might be;
and if it were so, it would be; but as it isn't, it ain't. That's logic.”