[App_rpt-users] What exactly is a node in AllStarLink

Kevin Custer kuggie at kuggie.com
Sun Mar 17 13:06:54 UTC 2019

On 3/17/2019 1:15 AM, Eric Fort wrote:
> What is an AllStarLink server?

An ASL server is the computer hardware or virtualization that contains
Asterisk and app_rpt.  One or many nodes can be configured in/on one server.

When someone signs up for an AllStarLink account, they are vetted
(verified as a valid amateur radio operator) and their status is set to
standard user.  They can, at any subsequent time, log-in to the AllStar
Portal and change themselves to a system operator.  The difference is a
standard user doesn't maintain hardware, they are simply a vetted user.
A system operator is a vetted user that is intending to operate at least
one publicly available server and one node.  The system operator can
have as many servers and nodes configured under AllStarLink as they want
- for free.

Asterisk and app_rpt can also be run privately.  Servers then do not
register publicly to AllStarLink, however they can register to other
private peers by setting up parameters in a look-up table we call the
"phone book".  Node numbers 2000 and above are registered publicly,
where nodes 1999 and below are not registered publicly. AllStarLink runs
the master public registration server system keeping track of servers
that want to publicly register and advertise their availability to the
world of AllStar.  A private system of Asterisk and app_rpt (servers and
nodes) doesn't require anything from AllStarlink, as they don't keep
track of private systems.

To understand how AllStarLink works, we first have to understand
Asterisk and how it's intended to operate.  Asterisk is a software PBX
(public branch exchange).  A PBX is a traditional business phone system
where many "extensions" connect to one box.  Sally at extension 1000 can
call Johnny at extension 1004 by simply dialing the extension number.
She can also dial any public exchange if the PBX has a SIP trunk or POTS
telephone line(s) connected to it for calling "outside" of the
business.  So if the server box has a Internet connection (and other
required stuff), extensions can make and receive telephone calls to the
outside world as well as other extensions directly connected.

AllStarLink nodes can be thought of as extension phones in the

https://web-tpa.allstarlink.org/
https://wiki.allstarlink.org/wiki/Main_Page

>  Let’s say I have a computer with a repeater and a remote base
> attached (physically connected over wire with analog signaling)
> locally. If I dial into that node am I connected to the remote base,
> the repeater, both, neither, some dialplan logic that plays
> abandon-all-hope.... followed by tt-weasels, or something else?

In your example above, the repeater and remote base would be two
independent nodes.  They could connect to nothing (be stand alone), one
connected to something else and one stand alone, connect to each other,
both connected together and then to something else, or individually
connected to something else.

Unlike a standard repeater controller, the cross-point switch
configuration in AllStarLink is unlimited.  You are free to dial
(connect) any node to any other node.  You can connect a node in listen
only or monitor mode.  This allows you to hear traffic from another node
or system of nodes, but your locally generated voice traffic is not
conveyed to the other system (microphone muted on this extension).

>  How is this decided?

By the ASL registration server system and what nodes you decide to
connect where.

Kevin Custer W3KKC