[App_rpt-users] Simplex node with RPi and discriminator audio

Keith Williamson hkwilliamson at gmail.com
Sun May 5 18:36:41 UTC 2019

I'm wondering if this is a realistic configuration for a simplex node:

RPi3 with DMK URI connected to the 9600 audio in and out signals of an
Alinco DR-135T. I want to be able to use CTCSS so that random signals don't
get bridged to connected nodes.

My concern is that with the above configuration, the CTCSS decode in the
radio is bypassed. Consequently, CTCSS decode needs to be done via usbradio
since simpleusb does not have this capability. However, I keep hearing that
usbradio is not handled well with an RPi and yields less than ideal audio
quality.

So all of the above implies that I either use a higher performance node PC
or continue to use the RPi, switch to the 2400 audio in and out signals (so
that the Alinco can handle the CTCSS) and use simpleusb.

Opinions?

Thanks,

Keith
KF7DRV