[App_rpt-users] Allstar 'Answering Machine'

Matthew Simmons km6toa at gmail.com
Mon May 20 07:31:37 UTC 2019

I think I've come up with a pretty simple solution.

Recording is simple. Just add "archivedir=/home/somefolder" to rpt.conf .

The problem was how to start and stop recording. Once you have set an
archive directory in rpt.conf it just keeps recording their forever which
is not what I needed.

My solution was to set the immutable attribute for the archive directory
(chattr +i /home/allstarudio/*). This prevents any files from being
modified or created in the archive directory. App.rpt is still trying to
put files in the folder but it cannot.

So I made a simple script that removes the immutable attribute from the
archive directory, sleeps for 15seconds and then adds the immutable
attribute back. This allows any transmission made within that 15 seconds to
be saved in the archive directory.

I then defined a custom DTMF function in the function stanza of rpt.conf.
When this DTMF tone is dialed the mailbox.sh script will run and any
transmission the user starts within the next 15 seconds will be recorded.

Script is copied below.

Anyone is welcome to dial my node and leave a message. Node # 49245

mailbox.sh

#!/bin/bash

# How to use this script

# You must Uncommnet or add the line "archivedir = /home/allstaraudio" in
/etc/asterisk/rpt.conf
# You must also create the "allstaraudio" directory in your home folder
# create a custom DTMF macro in functions stanza of rpt.conf that calls
this script.
# example dtmf macro "85=cmd,/home/yourusername/mailbox.sh"

#this sets the app.rpt audio archive directory to immutable
chattr -i /home/allstaraudio/*

# this pauses the script for 15 seconds. Any transmission that begins
within this 15 seconds will be recorded even if it is longer than 15
seconds.
sleep 15s

#this adds the immutable attribute from the app.rpt audio archive directory
preventing any further audio files from being stored.
chattr +i /home/allstaraudio/*