[App_rpt-users] VPN to forward ports

Joey Kelly joey at joeykelly.net
Wed Apr 8 13:12:11 UTC 2020

On Wednesday, April 08, 2020 08:39:06 AM Brad Trogdon wrote:
> Marty,

<snip>
>  One thing I have been able to do is the
> Raspberry Pi is configured to Reverse SSH to another Raspberry Pi I have
> locally which allows me to access and control.   I have been told that a
> VPN path to a proxy device will address our needs but have been unable to
> locate a white paper that will work.

If you run autossh it will remake the connection if/when it drops.

Another solution is the newish WireGuard VPN. It's a little tricky to figure
out at first, but quite nifty. I'm putting out Pi4 appliances for a commercial
project and it works beautifully. OpenVPN works too, but it's a bear.

--Joey

> If you find a solution please Share.
>
> -Brad
> W4INT
>
> On Wed, Apr 8, 2020 at 8:26 AM Marty <martye at usham.org> wrote:
> > *I have been using an AT&T Hotspot for my internet for my allstar node.
> > The Hotspot that has a section to forward ports but does not seem to work
> > and acts like they are still being blocked even though I port forward the
> > correct ports to and from the static ip i used I also used the DMZ to
> > that static IP. It is as if my public IP is virtual and not going back to
> > my ip or they are blocking viop ports. So I've been trying to find a way
> > to use a VPN service would help with something like this? The Hotspot
> > does have a section for APN setting but don't know how to use that,
> > that's if that could help anyway.
> >
> > **I can only connect to other nodes, I can not receive connections from
> > outside. Even Echolink is not working either. I have no outside access to
> > my public IP.
> > **Use to work on a regular broadband connection or is there another way
> > around the issue I'm having with the AT&T Hotspot or is this the nature
> > of hotspots?
> > *
> > *73,
> > Marty KD4HLV
> > 28523*

Joey Kelly
Minister of the Gospel and Linux Consultant
http://joeykelly.net
504-239-6550