[App_rpt-users] remote serial port on a raspbery pi to a windows machine

Pierre Martel petem001 at gmail.com
Thu Aug 6 14:39:36 UTC 2020

I know it is not a allstar/app_rpt subject. But it is pretty damn close.

I have a 900 mhz repeater that went up this week end. node 49530

It is at a very nice place 1000 foot over the sea level facing the
St-lawrence vallée au the base of the laurentian montain. from simulation
with radio mobile we can see that it will cover about 60% of the most
crowded part of the province.

The repeater is a Quantar and I just cant thank enough the ham that
provided me with the schematics to hook up the URI to the repeater and the
code plug that helped me set it all up.

Now I have this connected with a raspberry pi 3. All is working great. good
audio but a hissing noise all the time. That is comming from the radio
itself.. Dont know much what to do about it.. Anyways.. thats not the
question.

Anyone have been able to create a serial connection from a linux machine,
to lets say the quantar repeater, then send that to a remote client
(windows machine) so that a windows software ( quantar rss) could read that
serial port as local port.

I know there are commercially available serial port to ethernet converter
and loading a small software will create a virtual serial port for the
target software to connect to. But since the raspbery pi is allready there,
why not use it.. I could directly use the serial i/o used for the console
and connect it to the quantar. or at worst use a usb to rs-232 converter
and use it to connect to the repeater. (this wont be available on the net
directly. I will need to use a SSh tunel to have acces to it.

So anyone know something about this?

Pierre VE2PF