[App_rpt-users] History of "ASL Registration Code"

Stacy kg7qin at arrl.net
Fri Apr 23 05:56:01 UTC 2021

The story behind the latest posting from Rob Vella KK9ROB, regarding the
"ASL Registration Code" post.  Posted here to be a matter of record.

--------------------------

The concept for the new registration was originally the idea of Jason
Kendall VE3YCA, however Jason was not able to spare cycles to work on
the new code as his job and life keeps him gainfully employed.  Around
September 2020, when Rob joined in a discussion on development with
several of us, registration came up as well as the desire to replace the
Asterisk 13 based registration servers, since they were still running a
hack that was done to chan_iax by me (with Tom Hayward KD7LXL doing a
minor initial mod that led to the start of the complete hack).

On 11 September 2020, Rob sent me a DM asking about ASL registration and
said "I've done a fair bit of socket programming for a work project.
You think it would be a worthwhile venture to try to code an IAX server?
I was thinking about it earlier. Sniffed some packets, got a familiar
with the registration flow. It's only a few packets that are sent and
looks pretty straightforward."

"It should be fairly straightforward to do so. There's only 5-7 total
packets to do a registration"

 I told him he could and that there was an RFC for the protocol.

Then on 13 September from Rob:
"won't be able to make the morning meeting but wanted to let you know
that I was successful in getting an IAX server setup. have the full
registration flow working (without verifying password, just the packets)
through UDP. going to work more on it tomorrow to get is authenticating
against real data."

"just need to do some refactoring. assuming that it's going to hit an
HTTP endpoint for registration, as Jason expressed, so i setup something
really basic to just authenticate or reject. i'll be implementing that
packet tomorrow."

"so far it's super fast. less than 15ms to do a full registration.
excited to see where it goes."

(of course there is more, like on 15 September the DM about "i
implemented client functionality, so as a validation measure, i could
literally forward the reaffic back out to a real reg server" or the
reply by me asking if this was in pyton "no. its in NodeJS. send the
hate. lol"

Jason and Rob did quite a bit of testing on systems that were setup just
for this purpose.  Rob even requested and was provided the packet
captures from the live registration servers and said it helped a lot.

Rob's front end was talking to the back end API that Jason wrote in
Python.  In fact, both pieces of code still exist in the now pttlink
registration servers and were running on the ASL servers.
Unfortunately, there was a bug in the IAXjs code that had to be
addressed, and Jason was able to do a work around to fix it.

And for the record: Jason actually published an updated version of the
Python code about 3-4 months ago here: https://github.com/apprpt-central

https://github.com/Apprpt-Central/pyIAX-Register