[App_rpt-users] Response to the AllStarLink Board of Directors message from 29 December 2020

Tom Hayward tom at tomh.us
Sat Jan 2 21:38:29 UTC 2021

I have admittedly limited knowledge on the topic, but I'll take a stab at
explaining it.

- The AllStarLink Inc (not Jim Dixon) has registered a trademark for the
word "AllStar" for things related to "Transmission and delivery of amateur
radio voice and text signals via internet protocol"
https://tsdr.uspto.gov/#caseNumber=87773109&caseSearchType=US_APPLICATION&caseType=SERIAL_NO&searchType=statusSearch
- The contributors to the AllStarLink Github repo are not AllStarLink Inc:
https://github.com/pttlink/Asterisk/graphs/contributors
- (And here's where I'm making a guess...) To protect themselves from legal
action by AllStarLink Inc, the contributors to the open source software
have begun removing references to "AllStar" that could be a legal target,
including the naming of the Github organization.

Tom KD7LXL