[FRC] Possible issues with FL repeater coordination

kg4ugk kg4ugk at kg4ugk.com
Fri Nov 11 00:16:08 EST 2016

Yep.

Sent from my Samsung Galaxy smartphone.
-------- Original message --------From: Bryan Fields <Bryan at bryanfields.net> Date: 11/10/16  11:57 PM  (GMT-05:00) To: Florida Repeater Council Discussion <frc-info at lists.keekles.org> Cc: tomray at hvc.rr.com, mark at stennett.com, dir1 at florida-repeaters.org, kengkopp at gmail.com, k0pp at arrl.net Subject: Re: [FRC] Possible issues with FL repeater coordination
On 11/10/16 11:32 PM, kg4ugk wrote:
> Was this board and the FRC made aware that you in fact helped spread the
> leaked database? Was the ARRL brought in to provide support?

The ARRL was made aware of these issues.  They have chosen to stay out of it.

> I personally, dont like the idea of Bryan being apart of this committee.

I don't like that idea either.

> We
> are all not just hams. We live other lives, have other jobs. We should be
> able to personally choose if we want information available and our home
> phone numbers and addresses being immediately exposed with a quick google
> search of your own name now, everyone on this list should in some way feel
> violated.

You have all this information listed in the FCC database.

> Theres a reason even QRZ requires registration and log ins prior
> to the address you want listed on there viewable to other HAMs, not the
> entire free world.

Again, FCC database has this.  I'm not sure why QRZ doesn't show it, perhaps
to encourage account creation as they are an advertisement platform.

> I don't want every person I hand my business card to be
> able to call me at home or stop by my house because I didnt call them back
> before close of day, as I'd imagine some of you may feel. As soon as this
> database was made viewable, and he facilitated the distribution of said
> hacked database, he officially made himself an accomplice to the original
> crime.

There was no crime and this is publicly available information. The FRC cannot
promise to keep your information private legally.

At the end of the day more information is on your voter registration than
what's in some repeater records.

> I do like the idea of the PDC, but as to the interactions and
> confrontational approach he has, would not be conducive to the survival of
> the FRC. Yes he has made some valid points, and a plan was put in motion,
> great.

Then get involved.  What do you want to see change?

> Bryan himself previously stated that it takes the FRC too long to provide
> updates, and we've been waiting quietly for his update.. his first order of
> being appointed to a newly formed committee is to state he hasnt had much
> time to devote to FRC issues. It usually rolls downhill.

I've been waiting for replies to emails and things I've sent out.  We've had
no movement yet.  As you said "We are all not just hams. We live other lives,
have other jobs."

> Theres a reason
> that a chain of command exists. I am now CC'ing the NFCC board members, as
> the ARRL should probably provide additional support, after all.. they are
> the ones who govern whos ultimately the coordinating body for each state,
> but after the extensive actions taken on Bryans side. When we are already
> vunerable to hacks in the computer day and age, Bryan in fact is going to
> set us back and harm the FL ham community. I am also going to talk to the
> local hams in broward county that have a bigger reach into our local
> repeater owners than I do.

The ARRL does not want to be involved, I've contacted them.

> IMPORTANT.To appoint someone to a committee to stop his legal attempts was
> not a wise decision, contacting the FCC or ARRL for assistance in this
> dispute should help resolve this.

To make a contract contingent on a party forgoing legal representation is not
legal.  I only was asking for a members roster and the results of the past
four elections from the board.  The fact they refused to provide this to a
member is disgusting.  At that point, what option does one have other than to
retain counsel?
--
Bryan Fields

727-409-1194 - Voice