[FRC] Melbourne update

Wesley Smith snoopy22 at bellsouth.net
Fri Nov 11 08:16:11 EST 2016

Bryan,

Good to hear that progress, although small, was made.  I like your ideas. Patients!!!

73's
Wes Smith (N3CMH)

 Subject: [FRC] Melbourne update
 To: "Florida Repeater Council Discussion" <frc-info at lists.keekles.org>
 Date: Thursday, November 10, 2016, 8:26 PM

 I've been holding off on this as I
 was hoping to have more forward progress to
 report.  Also I've been rather busy at work with out
 much free time to devote
 to FRC issues.

 Video/audio of the meeting is here:
 https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CLDaJj0OY3U

 Prior to the meeting President Kassis and other board
 members had a discussion
 with my group.  The president wanted to know why we
 were demanding his
 removal, and I explained his failure to follow the law and
 the bylaws made him
 unfit for office.  The same held true for directors
 Fletcher, Rodkis and
 Lavender.  The president failed to comprehend how not
 responding to my inquiry
 and my attorneys inquiry was actionable and exposed us to
 liability.

 Secretary Fletcher would not even make eye contact with me
 when asked about
 the phone call he placed to me regarding this inquiry.
 He denied even placing
 it.

 This was not a good start, but we did make some
 progress.  What we did agree
 on was to start a process development committee (PDC) where
 any member can
 propose changes to process and the bylaws and the rest of
 the members will
 vote on it.  This will check the authority of the board
 and allow any members
 to improve FRC process/policies.  My friend Dave, NX4Y
 agreed to be the PDC
 chair with me being a member of this committee.

 This was our agreement going into the meeting.  I
 thought we had some good
 progress, and was I positive going into the formal FRC
 meeting.

 At the meeting we did get some of what we wanted, director
 Lavender was absent
 and had tendered his resignation.  The director Butler
 resigned as well.
 Secretary Fletcher, President Kassis, and Dana Rodakis (not
 present) refused
 to resign, but President Kassis had given me his word we
 would work together.

 All was fine till we got to the board meeting, and it was
 quite obvious
 Secretary Fletcher runs things as if he's the
 president.  One of his first
 orders of business was to remove Director Gonzalez from the
 board for missing
 two meetings.

 While this is permitted under the bylaws, the FRC has never
 done it before.
 The Director was an acquaintance of mine and director
 Fetcher made a motion to
 remove him due in no small part to this.

 President Kassis reappointed the removed Director and they
 voted to accept it,
 with the notable exception of Secretary Fletcher.

 After this they created the Process development committee as
 we'd agreed to
 with Dave, NX4Y as the chair.  However they appointed a
 number of people to
 the PDC and refused to appoint me as agreed prior.

 Adding further insult to this, Secretary Fletcher invented a
 new point of
 business that I was a member of the FRC, as the board never
 voted to approve
 my membership.  I have been paid for 3 year, have
 PayPal receipts to Dana
 Rodakis proving this, and in the history of the FRC, no
 members have ever been
 approved by the board. Further he stated, they can't process
 any memberships
 as the treasurer was not in attendance!

 Moving past this as they knew they were on shaky legal
 ground, Secretary
 Fletcher with President Kassis now invented the requirement
 that I stop all
 legal action and consulting with my attorney regarding the
 FRC.  This is quite
 illegal.  I had to get up and raise my voice for the
 President to live up to
 his end of our agreement.

 Eventually a compromise was reached with me agreeing to halt
 any legal matters
 and I'll be part of the committee.  Regardless I said I
 would consider the
 matter closed and we moved forward.

 As of now we have a PDC forum website and we're working on
 the process of the
 PDC.  Once this is done, any member will be able to
 write up a proposal and
 have it voted on by the membership.  I believe this
 will allow us to change
 the FRC for the better in the long term.  Our goal is
 to be up and running
 with this in a couple months from Melbourne.

 Once this is in place we'll be able to attack the ongoing
 issues such as:
     New coordination taking months or years
     Renewals not being processed in a timely
 manner
     The ongoing issue of paper repeaters
     Unprotected or test pairs
     Single points of failure
     Legal compliance (FL, IRS, etc.)
     Etc.

 We're going to work hard with the board over the next few
 months and I hope
 we'll have some forward progress soon.  This is most
 significant development
 to come from the FRC in the past 20 years.

 Let's look to the future and how we can improve coordination
 in Florida.

 73's
 --
 Bryan Fields