[FSG-public] Data radios and clients

Bryan Fields bryan at flscg.org
Tue May 24 23:20:47 EDT 2016

I've been doing some work looking at the HamWAN standards
<https://www.hamwan.org/t/Site+Bill+of+Materials> for access/client data
radios.  Basically this will setup us for a 2x2 MIMO AP and client capable of
hitting 65Mbit/s over the air in a 10 MHz channel at 5.9 GHz.  We can still
use the older client radios with this which do not support MIMO, but at 37.5
Mbit/s over the air data rate.  Here is a brief explanation of MCS index
values.
<http://www.digitalairwireless.com/wireless-blog/recent/demystifying-modulation-and-coding-scheme-index-values.html>

Below is a list of the 3 AP's and antennas and 3 client radios.  I've added in
the WaveGuard shields which increase the performance of the sector antennas by
shielding the back side radiation from them.  The cable is already installed
from the shelter to the top roof on the building, so installation and
configuration of this should be a few hours worth of work.

The cool thing here is the client setup is under $200 and about the same price
as a entry level HT.

Quanity 	Description 	Vendor 	PN 	Price
	Subtotal
3 	Ubiquiti 5G-19-120 120 degree H/V sector 	Flytech 	AM-5G19-120 	119
	357
3 	WaveGuard AM5G19 	streakwave.com <http://streakwave.com> 	WG-AM2/5G-120 	39
	117
3 	MikroTik RouterBOARD RB912UAG-5HPnD-OUT 	streakwave.com
<http://streakwave.com> 	RB912UAG-5HPnD-OUT 	74
	222
3 	RF Elements SBX-S-CC-2SMA 	streakwave.com <http://streakwave.com>
SBX-S-CC-2SMA 	25.65
	76.95
6 	Tycon Power Systems TP-ESP-1000-POE
Network / Lighting Surge Protector 1Gb
https://www.streakwave.com/itemdesc.asp?ic=TP-ESP-1000-POE
	22.57
	135.42

	0
Clients
3 	MikroTik RouterBOARD RB912UAG-5HPnD-OUT 	streakwave.com
<http://streakwave.com> 	RB912UAG-5HPnD-OUT 	74
	222
3 	Ubiquiti Networks RD-5G30-LW
5GHz 30dBi dual pol 2' dish Light Weight
https://www.streakwave.com/itemdesc.asp?ic=RD-5G30-LW 	RD-5G30-LW 	105
	315

	subtotal 	1445.37

	shipping 	261

	TOTAL 	1706.37

This is a projected coverage of the AP's off the roof with a 35' client radio
setup.  We'll blanket most of Tampa Bay with very usable -75dBm signal.  Any
ham needing a link will be able to get on here and light up their
repeater/base site with an IP connection.

--
Bryan Fields, W9CR
Florida Simulcast Group, Inc.