[FSG-public] 5.9 GHz is open for commercial users

Bryan Fields bryan at flscg.org
Sat Mar 28 16:48:04 UTC 2020

On 3/27/20 10:56 PM, Thomas Schaefer wrote:
> Hi Bryan,
>
> I was just asking about the STA. I read it and the STA does not grant authority within 75 km of this area. I was not commenting on how it is can be a foot in the door with the potential for an STA to become permanent.

We're looking at two sides of the same coin.  I'd agree Tampa and St Pete
should be ok (Tampa's already been impacted by the DSRC stuff), for now.

> When I asked what I was missing, it was about that the STA did not seem to impact this area because of the 75km restriction near government sites. Given a literal reading of the STA, I was not inferring all you put in your reply so you must have further information on those motives I missed—hence the question of what I was missing.

I was taken by the speed at which it was granted. WISPA has become very
secretive and the industry has become laser focused on getting spectrum.

These small steps here with the lack of "meaningful response" from the amateur
community will be used as the argument to take the band.  5725 to 5850 is
unusable now due to the noise floor, and the inability to work with part 15
users.  2.4 GHz and 902 MHz is even worse.

73's
--
Bryan Fields, W9CR
Florida Simulcast Group, Inc.