[App_rpt] URI configuration help

Steve Totaro stotaro at totarotechnologies.com
Tue Jul 22 15:02:46 UTC 2008

On Mon, Jul 21, 2008 at 11:07 PM, Stephen Rodgers
<hwstar at rodgers.sdcoxmail.com> wrote:
> David,
>
> Using the latest version of Asterisk may be the cause of your problems.
> Why did you feel the need to upgrade it from what comes with EVB?
>
> Troubleshooting the lockup on an unproven system configuration will be a
> complete waste of your time if you aren't a developer and able to fix
> things yourself in the code and are willing to spend hours and hours
> tracking down the root cause of the problem. If you want to get
> something running quickly, you have to resist the urge to update code to
> the latest and greatest and stick to that which has a track record of
> working.
>
> There are several people running plain vanilla multi-node EVB systems
> (Roger W4RFJ and Will W4WWM). I'm running a two node ACID system on the
> bench but it doesn't have all that much test time on it. (It doesn't
> lock up when the two nodes are connected together though.) There is one
> other person running ACID on a two node system (Randy KC6HUR) he might
> be able to give some insight as to how well it works.
>

> This is one of the few problems with open source, you just don't know in
> advance which combinations of programs will play nice together without
> doing extensive testing yourself and troubleshooting the problems
> yourself. This is why EVB and ACID exist. There are just to many things
> which can go terribly wrong when programs are updated to the latest and
> greatest versions.
>
> Steve

I totally disagree.

The new app-rpt should be merged with trunk and also be compatible
with new kernels and updated software.  That is a basic fact of almost
EVERY piece of software.  Sometimes you have to read the README to get
it working but that's it.

Do you know what most of those updates are?  Mostly security fixes and
bug fixes.

To suggest leaving a system without updating it is just terrible
advice and begging to be hacked.

Thanks,
Steve Totaro
KB3OPB