[App_rpt] Asterisk segfaults after installation

Steve Totaro stotaro at totarotechnologies.com
Mon Jul 28 02:16:49 UTC 2008

On Sun, Jul 27, 2008 at 6:30 PM, Don Russell <w9drr at live.com> wrote:
> The reason for using ACID or EVB is simple. They work and are simple for the
> average ham
> who has never touched linux to get a working box. N9SH and WA6ZFT put a lot
> of time into
> making those distos for those who want to play with this stuff.

Ok, so you have verified my thoughts as to why it has been dumbed
down.  For the HAM audience.

> Commercial
> use is questionable
> at best. Relying on commodity PC based hardware for a commercial install is
> nuts. PC's lockup.

I am not sure I would call an HP DL380 with dual power supplies and
RAID 5 a PC, I guess it is a commodity by definition.  I have one with
four and a half years of uptime.

> Dedicated controllers simply don't. FRS and MURS is forbidden by the FCC
> rules thats why Dingotel
> isn't around. their product was not legal in any way shape or form. Besides
> they leached phone access
> from basically everyone for their business model. not so bright an idea.

Moot point, not even worth verifying, they are defunct.

> They most likely stole the idea
> from Steve and Jim since the app_rpt has been around for quite a long while.

Patents need to be somewhat specific, Jim Dixon gave credit where
credit was due at last year's Astricon (I was one of the ten or
fifteen people at that track).  He specifically said that the idea
(USB Radio Interface) came from the Dingotel product and went on to
say that app_rpt had support for Dingotel dongles.  I heard the words
come right out of his mouth.

> Now, if you want to use your distro of choice, then you are free to do so.
> the source for everything is available.
> you know where it is, its plainly published. You can figure out how to make
> it work. Plain and simple.
> Don't ask for help as most likely your peculiar combo is at fault.

Why are HAM operators so closed minded?  Anyways, from asking this
same question before, tens of people have contacted me offlist with
the same concerns.  Maybe it is the attitude on this list.

> Do you call GM when your after market 600HP turbo charger with red blinking
> lights
> doesn't go beep beep beep? Then why as why something doesn't work with an
> odd ball setup?
> No one is forcing you to use EVB or ACID. They exist because they are simple
> to use. Since
> the majority of the people developing are using the same setup then that is
> what we expect
> you to use if you want any help.  No the users are not dumb. Its development
> is being based off
> a standard.

Should be developed cleanly with Asterisk and merged in the 1.6
branch.  EVB or ACID are not standards.

> You could have just as easily built your own fob, I did. I think I have
> whopping $10 in my setup total.
> Don't complain about your choice to buy something. It was YOUR choice to do
> so. I chose to solder my
> own. Did I complain about how easy it was to make? nope....

Please stop global whining.

> Your perceived hostility doesn't help very much and use of phases like
> "propaganda" and "logic" are
> flamebait. Personal attacks like the one target at N9SH are not necessary
> and you will simply be ignored from here out.

Please quote one personal attack.