[App_rpt-users] The ID Bug

Ken ke2n at cs.com
Wed Aug 25 13:39:23 UTC 2010

Thanks for doing that ... I can confirm that yesterday I heard the (polite)
Morse ID followed by one of the voice recordings, in the middle of a
repeated transmission here. Like you said, it does not happen often (and you
need a chatty bunch of people).
(version 0.255)

Part 2

I had earlier reported that the timeout message was playing during a
bulletin playback, despite the fact that I had selected "control state 0".
I have to report that was due to pilot error.  I had neglected to remove the
semicolon before the [controlstate] stanza header.  Of course, it plays the
message saying 'SS Zero' it's just that control state zero is not defined
anywhere ... so you end up with the default state.  This also explains why
people were able to make internet connections to the machine while the
bulletin was playing  (NOICE was not active).

Observation

Bulletins using 'playback' are not heard on Echolink. So if you do not
disable incoming connections, somebody can come on Echolink, not hear
anything, yet be talking in the middle of the bulletin playback.

Observation 2

Even if you do not disable the time out timer, the bulletin still
plays/transmits to completion on the local node. Somehow the timeout timer,
while it times the playback and announces a timeout, does not stop the
playback from being transmitted. If the playing node is linked to another
node, the timeout timer there will kill the that transmitter after the timer
expires.  If you want to play a bulletin through all your connected nodes,
you need to turn off the timer on all the other nodes  (using the *4
facility, or by computer).

Ken
27021