[App_rpt-users] drop outs and ping pong

Ken ke2n at cs.com
Thu Jan 7 22:49:09 UTC 2010

Today I added a second node to my system and had my first
inter-asterisk QSO. I found two problems which may, or may not, be
related.

first issue:

During the QSO, there were a lot of drop outs (both ways apparently).
These were accompanied by "Hungup..." messages on the console. I think
these are not anything to do with audio or USB, but rather with the
internet (parrot mode works fine, for example). I wonder what other
people's experience is with this? Could it be something my ISP is doing
to me (they are famous for this kind of thing).

This happens in monitor-only mode too, and apparently it is noticeable
on the other and as at some point when I was doing this a control
operator came on and said my node was 'coughing' and then proceeded to
disconnect me from his end.  I hate to think I am screwing up other
peoples systems by just listening to them. What to do? I noticed that
there is a "drop count" parameter in IAX

[from this I concluded that the inter-asterisk exchange protocol must
have some end to end acknowleements ?]

second issue:

when I connect my first node to my second node on the same machine I
get a ping-pong effect (or similar) where the first node keeps playing
the courtesy tone (and PTT remains on continuously) and the second node
drops the PTT but immediately keys up again. No received audio passes
from node 1 to node 2 while all this beeping is going on.

I have commented off the CTCSS commands for node 2 and courtesy tones
as well.

I expect this is something stupid I have done that should be easy to
fix.

Thanks,
Ken
27021