[App_rpt-users] drop outs and ping pong

hwstar at rodgers.sdcoxmail.com hwstar at rodgers.sdcoxmail.com
Fri Jan 8 00:12:20 UTC 2010

> From: Ken <ke2n at cs.com>
> Date: 2010/01/07 Thu PM 02:49:09 PST
> To: app_rpt-users at qrvc.com
> Subject: [App_rpt-users] drop outs and ping pong
>
> Today I added a second node to my system and had my first
> inter-asterisk QSO. I found two problems which may, or may not, be
> related.
>
> first issue:
>
> During the QSO, there were a lot of drop outs (both ways apparently).
> These were accompanied by "Hungup..." messages on the console. I think
> these are not anything to do with audio or USB, but rather with the
> internet (parrot mode works fine, for example). I wonder what other
> people's experience is with this? Could it be something my ISP is doing
> to me (they are famous for this kind of thing).
>
> This happens in monitor-only mode too, and apparently it is noticeable
> on the other and as at some point when I was doing this a control
> operator came on and said my node was 'coughing' and then proceeded to
> disconnect me from his end.  I hate to think I am screwing up other
> peoples systems by just listening to them. What to do? I noticed that
> there is a "drop count" parameter in IAX
>
> [from this I concluded that the inter-asterisk exchange protocol must
> have some end to end acknowleements ?]
>
> second issue:
>
> when I connect my first node to my second node on the same machine I
> get a ping-pong effect (or similar) where the first node keeps playing
> the courtesy tone (and PTT remains on continuously) and the second node
> drops the PTT but immediately keys up again. No received audio passes
> from node 1 to node 2 while all this beeping is going on.
>
> I have commented off the CTCSS commands for node 2 and courtesy tones
> as well.
>
> I expect this is something stupid I have done that should be easy to
> fix.
>
> Thanks,
> Ken
> 27021
> 27061

If these are both simplex nodes and you are running app_rpt version 2.10, try adding rxondelay=25 in /etc/asterisk/usbradio.conf on both nodes. Be sure to restart asterisk on both machines after making this change.

The other problem is most likely Internet related.

Please note: URI support is provided as a courtesy. I derive no income from the sale of the URI

Steve
WA6ZFT