[App_rpt-users] ACID app_rpt how to recover from crash?

Brett Johnson k9by at arrl.net
Mon Nov 8 14:48:50 UTC 2010

> I am running a system built from the ACID CD.  I had it customized and
> working good and then tried to add another node to the same system.
> When asterisk tried to restart, the operating system crashed and
> became unreachable from the network or from the console.  I then
> rebooted the system and it will not boot up.
>
> It seems that the file system is damaged.
>
> I know that I could just rebuilld from the CD and then attempt to
> remember what I did to get the system working the way I had it but if
> it is possible to do a recovery procedure I would prefer that.
>
> Is there a procedure to repair the file system and recover my
> customized configuration files from the system?
>
> Here is a screen shot of the console after attempting to reboot
>
> http://www.midlandsnetworking.com/wb9uus-crash.jpg
>
> Chuck

Chuck,

I hate to say, but it looks like your hard drive is failing:
Descriptor sense data with sense descriptors (in hex):
    72 03 11 04 00 00 00 0c 00 0a 80 00 00 00 00 00
    00 00 74 27
end_request: I/O error, dev sda, sector 29735

This usually indicates that the actual media is starting to fail. It
appears from the screen shot that the drive is having a hard time reading
the media. This in turn is preventing the root file system from mounting.

If it were me, I would first shutdown the system until I was ready to
recover the data. I would get a backup hard drive and a copy of system
rescue cd (http://www.sysresccd.org/Main_Page).

Next I would boot from the system rescue cd and try to mount /dev/sda?
(?=which every partition contains your data, usually 1). If that works, I
would mount the backup drive and use rsync to backup the data. If
/dev/sda1 won't mount, then I would try and make an image backup of the
drive using partimage or dd.

If none of the above work, there is a trick that sometimes helps.
Heat can aggravate hard drive failures, so pulling the drive and sticking
it in the refrigerator for an hour will cool the drive down. Then quickly
stick the drive back in the computer. Retry the recovery steps discussed
above. This trick sometimes allows the drive to function just long enough
to recover the data.

I wish you luck.

--
73