[App_rpt-users] Phone System

"Jeremy R. Geeo [KDØEAV]" kd0eav at clear-sky.net
Mon Nov 29 21:36:31 UTC 2010

On 11/28/10 3:43 PM, Stephen Rodgers wrote:
> On 11/28/2010 06:37 AM, Greg Thornwall wrote:
>> How hard would it be to get allstar asterisk to work on our home phones?
>> Voice mail, a phone patch to allstar maybe, on hold music etc.

Information on this sort of configuration is generally available from
sources on the web such as:
voip-info.org

>> I guess we would need a PCI phone board to interface with the phones in
>> the house and outside line (POT)?

There are interface cards available which will allow you to interface to
an existing POTS line; but another option you might consider is finding
an Internet phone company to use (ie callcentric.com) - they offer
rather affordable options for phone service with only a network
connection required. You can also use SIP phones (in the house) to
interface to the Asterisk PBX - in lieu of purchasing hardware
interfaces and running phone lines; just use your local network.

>> Any good detailed documentation on how to do this?
>>
> It can be done, but there are no instructions to do this with an app_rpt/asterrisk as that
> would not be worth the effort to maintain and document as few hams would be interested.

Not sure I would agree with the "few hams would be interested" -- maybe
more of them need to know about this ability. That's one of the greatest
features in my opinion - it's incredible flexibility in integrating with
telecommunication systems.

> The version of Asterisk used in ACID is version 1.4 and it probably will not be updated
> anytime soon as app_rpt is highly dependent on the way Asterisk 1.4 does things.
>
> Digium recently released Asterisk 1.8 and Asterisk 1.6 is widely used.
> It may be better to use a more recent Asterisk version for a phone system.

I completely agree with this statement. If you are going to set up an
Asterisk phone system - do it SEPERATELY from your AllStar system.
AllStar being just another Asterisk system can be configured in a
variety of ways to allow it to communicate with another Asterisk phone
server (ie via IAX2). This will allow you to use some of the newer
features of 1.6 (and 1.8).