[App_rpt-users] simpleusb

Steve Gladden steve at michiganbroadband.com
Thu Jun 9 20:11:32 UTC 2011

--------------
The GPIO/PP functions have not yet been implemented in chan_simpleusb.
Since the part
of the channel driver that deals with the HID interface of the USB device
came from the
exact same origin, it wont be that difficult to port the changes made in
chan_usbradio
into chan_simpleusb to support the GPIO/PP user I/O functions.
---------------
Hi Kids!
Very patiently waiting and wanted to take a moment to ask "pretty please"
when you can sometime :-)

Just to clarify for those who are unsure what I'm refering to above..
What I am asking/requesting for is the ability to use/install simpleusb on
an older slower box (or be lazy and not have to solder to the usb device).
and still be able to route PTT and sense COR from a standard PC
Parallel port instead of the GPIO on the usb sound device.
:-)

Steve

> The GPIO/PP functions have not yet been implemented in chan_simpleusb.
> Since the part
> of the channel driver that deals with the HID interface of the USB device
> came from the
> exact same origin, it wont be that difficult to port the changes made in
> chan_usbradio
> into chan_simpleusb to support the GPIO/PP user I/O functions.
>
> The reason I never took the time to  do this was that, previous to about 4
> days ago, absolutely
> no one other them myself and a couple of other people which have
> configurations that I did personally
> have even noticed its existence, although its been in the codebase for a
> number of years now,
> and neither those people nor I have ever had any need for these functions.
>
> I am glad that people are finally discovering chan_simpleusbradio. It
> opens possibilities that
> would just never happen with chan_usbradio (and its associated system
> requirements).
>
> Currently, I have several rather intense projects that I am in the middle
> of. I will, however,
> make it a priority to do these changes to chan_simpleusb as soon as I can,
> since it's finally
> necessary and appropriate.
>
> JIM WB6NIL
>

>> From: george at dyb.com
>> To: app_rpt-users at ohnosec.org
>> Date: Fri, 18 Feb 2011 00:13:25 -0600
>> Subject: [App_rpt-users] simpleusb
>>
>> Hey y'all, I confuse easily. I want to try running COS and PTT from
>> parallel
>> port, much cleaner than microsurgery on the USB fob, did one - wasn't
>> too bad.
>> But the radios I use all have COS and/or PL decode outs. And the USB
>> squelch
>> is still a bit "odd". But the parallel port interface would make it plug
>> compatible (I think) with my currently deployed DRIL system nailed up
>> from
>> here in TX to my folks home in NJ(They're hams too).
>>
>> I see the documentation:
>>
>> http://ohnosec.org/drupal/node/177
>>
>> "Manipulating GPIO (and Parallel Printer Port) signals within
>> chan_usbradio
>> and chan_simpleusb"
>>
>> But I'm not fully certain of how to implement this. I'm using version
>> 0.273.
>>
>> Unsure of the meaning of this, exactly:
>> "(from within the section of usbradio.conf that is for the desired
>> device):"
>>

>> In a typical simpleusb.conf where exactly does it go, or better yet, can
>> someone send a sample of a working config file? I have not been able to
>> locate a
>> sample that explains this. I know I need to change
>> "rxchannel=Radio/usb2360"
>> (or 2428 for my remote) in rpt.conf.
>>
>> I have an example of simpleusb.conf. I see under [general] there is
>> [usb].
>>
>> would that [usb] change to [usb2360]?

> [...]

Michigan Broadband Systems Inc.
"Always Connected"