[App_rpt-users] Reading archives

Mike Ping mike at pingmonster.net
Thu Oct 20 11:10:51 UTC 2011

Here is the answer to my question with the help of some emails I received
off the list.

WinRar and Windows compressed folders do not work for this very well.  Use
7-zip to open the Gzip'd Text files.  Once you open the file in 7-zip it
looks like a text file i.e. 2011-October.txt, but it is not a txt file, it
is actually a another zipped file ending in .txt  After about 8 more double
clicks you finally drill down to the real .txt file.

After this I finally got a file that had readable text but it was all run
together.

I wanted to read this in a mail viewer for easy searching so I installed
Thunderbird and went to the directory where the mail is kept. You can find
this by right clicking on "Local Folders" and selecting "Settings".  There
you will see a link right to your folder where your mail is kept.  Copy and
paste that link into Explorer and once you are in that directory you can
dump the .txt files there.  Then after restarting Thunderbird all the
messages will be in there just like you received them through your email
account.

This process is a little cumbersome and there is probably a better solution
but it works.

Mike - N3KPU