[App_rpt-users] Using an external Controller

Kevin Custer kuggie at kuggie.com
Tue Apr 9 13:47:23 UTC 2013

Some repeaters like Tait, Vertex, and others have simple repeater
controller functionality built-in.  In some cases, all it takes to
enable/disable the internal controller is one logic line.  In cases
where I cannot afford to have a repeater fail if the computer dies or
the USB radio device stops responding, I have used a simple circuit that
looks for the flashy - flashy on the FOB, and if it fails, reverts the
internal controls.

Scott Zimmerman (and I) have developed a new USB radio interface device
that has this functionality built-in.  The new device will be ready for
full production in a few weeks.

Our interface is like most USB radio devices in that it converts the USB
to audio and signaling, (it's CM119 based) but is also includes some
other features not currently included on the interfaces available
today.  One of those features is monitoring the health of the computer
and interface.  If the LED stops flashing, a pin will go to the opposite
logic state and allow control to revert to internal controls, or another
device like a in-between repeater controller.  The source of the health
circuit can be slaved from the LED or GPIO1, and is capacitor coupled so
it doesn't matter if the input fails to ON or OFF - it still has failed,
and will revert.

There are several other features that address a number of compatibility
issues.  One of these features allow this interface to be connected to a
radio, or invert the logic to allow easy connection to a controller.
The logic is programmed by solder jumpers.   The audio filters have been
pushed out some,  but more importantly have more poles to insure none of
the clocking gets to the modulator in instances where the interface
device connects directly to the modulator.  There is an on-board DC to
DC converter so you can take advantage of higher audio output levels
without needing to route a source of 12 Volts to the device. Several
audio levels into and out of the device are possible without the need of
additional attenuation or amplifiers.

Watch for the release of this new product soon - the Repeater Builder
USB-RIM.

Kevin Custer - WJ8G