[App_rpt-users] Time 6 hours fast

Paul J. Agamata Sysman at Xceptions.COM
Fri Dec 13 10:48:00 UTC 2013

Mike, setting the UTC=false will work as well as long as you transfer the calibrated time that is current set correctly on the system back to your RTC via the ‘hwclock -systohc’ command to write the corrected system time (UTC or Local) back to the BIOS RTC.

Setting TZ variable will not cover some of the OS components for proper housekeeping.  One of the biggest things that Doug needs to be concerned about is getting the proper time in the syslogs.  Also, it may affect CRONTAB entries if something is set to be fired off at a predetermined time.

Most of my clients have Unix/Linux based OS’s, I’ve standardized in setting UTC time because it is what Unix/Linux uses natively.

_______________________________
Paul J. Agamata

WH6FM

Sysman at Xceptions.COM
Hilo, Hawaii

From: app_rpt-users-bounces at ohnosec.org [mailto:app_rpt-users-bounces at ohnosec.org] On Behalf Of mike at midnighteng.com
Sent: Thursday, December 12, 2013 6:08 PM
To: app_rpt-users at ohnosec.org
Subject: Re: [App_rpt-users] Time 6 hours fast

Doug,

I always had to many problems trying to maintain utc in system clock with the utc offset. app_rpt seemed to always read the raw utc time from the rtc (bios clock).

Now there may be a more appropriate way to fix this but...

My remedy was to set the system to local time a get rid of utc offsets. So it would always speak local time and I knew exactly what the computer clock was set at.

You need to edit /etc/system/clock (no extension)

ZONE="America/New_York"
UTC=false
ARC=false

While I forget where the "New_York" file is, you need to look at it to be sure it's data is correct.

As I remember it, There was something wrong with mine but I did not keep the original file to say what it was.

Then set your clock to local time and it should be correct. You will need to adjust it manually for DST.

hope that sheds some light in the right direction for what you want.

...mike/kb8jnm