[App_rpt-users] Need installation help

Doug Crompton doug at crompton.com
Tue Dec 31 00:39:20 UTC 2013

I am trying to walk a neophyte through an acid install remotely. I am sure some of you know how trying that can be. So here is where we are -

He has booted the iso disk and answered up to the static IP where he took the defualt for DHCP for now. The install went along and asked to remove the disk and then rebooted.

When it rebooted it asks for the  test login

I had him type  root  PW setup.

He gets the prompt. I took him through the command to look at
/root/acid-install.log   and from what he read me I don't see any
problem. It among other normal things says it went to
dl.allsstarlik.org and imported the centos 5 pgp keys.

I am not getting the text exactly right here but you get the idea.

It did not show any errors on doing any of this and the last line is
phase1.sh done - rebooting.

So now every time it boots it comes back to the test login screen.

I suspect no network connectivity but nothing ever told us that
specifically. The computer he is using work wirelessly with winxp
but would not work through a wired connection. We were not sure
if this was a hardware or windows SW problem.

I was able to get him to ping another active IP on his local network
and it came back unreachable.

This is an old laptop computer and a very computer inexperienced
person at the other end and I am trying to do this remotely over
the radio. It would be a lot easier if I was there.

Any ideas?

73 Doug
WA3DSP
http://www.crompton.com/hamradio