[App_rpt-users] OT SIP providers

Doug Crompton doug at crompton.com
Tue Dec 31 18:01:08 UTC 2013

I use voip.ms for my home phone service. I have been using Asterisk as my PBX for over 10 years. I have two homes and I use sip to the second home which is just another extension. voip.ms has servers throughout the country and for me 20ms or less rtt's. I have used sip to them but recently switched to iax and it seems to work better and faster but that might be my imagination since both are fast.

voip.ms is a pay as you go provider with different plans but basically 1 cent/minute calls to US and Canada. I charge it up with $25 and it lasts me 2-3 months or more.

I have my Asterisk Allstar and Asterisk pbx connected by iax. They reside on two different computers. I can bring up the patch from Allstar and dial any extension or number as I can on the pbx server.

I guess I am not really clear on why one would need autopatch to make phone calls in this day and age. Don't we all have cell phones? Maybe for emergencies or possibly in some areas where cell coverage is sparse or non-existent. For me it is a toy and something to play with. I rarely if ever use it but nice to know it works. I haven't heard an autopatch being used on a repeater in years.
HAPPY NEW YEAR!

73 Doug
WA3DSP
http://www.crompton.com/hamradio