[App_rpt-users] Differences in Asterisk Versions

Shane Morris edgecomberts at gmail.com
Sun Jan 27 02:04:31 UTC 2013

Hi all,

Just out of curiosity, I'm wondering what features the later mainline
releases of Asterisk offer above and beyond the version of Asterisk
1.4 with app_rpt, and chan_voter.

The reason I'm asking is because I would like to implement an actual
office PABX system that can use both phones and radios, for an office
base and a workforce that will mostly be in the field. Of course, why
reinvent the wheel - ie, why would I have two separate servers (one
for app_rpt, and one for the phone system) when I could potentially
run the entire system off the one server? One server makes logical
sense to me, of course, and reduces management overhead... but is
there any do or die features that 1.6 and 1.8 offers me that would
indicate I need another server, or can I just do the whole she-bang
(albeit, without Digiums support) on a 1.4 server with app_rpt?

I've just been told about an Android 3G smartphone from China that
integrates a 1Watt UHF PMR (400 - 470MHz) FM radio, and Android
control software. Its also IP67 rated for you types that like dropping
your phone in the mud and stuff...! This as a client for an app_rpt
network - on both the PMR and VoIP/ broadband interfaces - is of
extreme interest to me, for my application. Saves carrying around a
separate PMR radio in any case... as for an application to back up
onto the 3G network via VoIP when you can't receive a signal from the
PMR network... well... I'll see about that...!

Thanks everyone!

Shane.