[App_rpt-users] Small System Recommendations

Ramesh Dhami (VA3UV) Ramesh at va3uv.com
Mon Jun 24 02:10:48 UTC 2013

On 23/06/2013 9:50 PM, Robert Garcia wrote:
> All,
>
> I am looking for recommendations on small, preferably inexpensive,
> systems that are capable of running on 12v to take advantage of the
> redundant power systems at our sites.
>
> I would like it to support at least two nodes running simpleusb as I
> don't need the DSP processing capabilities.  The idea is that these
> systems would be connected to a port on an existing controller.
>
> I expect that HP thin clients are going to be my best bet, but there
> seem to be many different models so I don't know where to begin.
>
> Suggestions or thoughts?

<-- I've had reasonable success with the HP T5710's; I use the models
with 1.2GHz proc' and 256MB of RAM.  If you can get the models with 4GB
of DOM that would be best.  I have modified several to use a 4GB
micro-drive, which work fine ...... UNTIL, the micro-drives crap out!

So, I'd think twice before putting them up at a remote site that you
cannot easily access.

My 2 cents.

Ramesh.