[App_rpt-users] beaglebone w/ URI

David McGough kb4fxc at inttek.net
Tue Nov 12 20:25:27 UTC 2013

Hi Guys,

I would very much like to see app_rpt (or equivalent) running under recent
versions of Asterisk, too.  All the Asterisk developer efforts for Pi's,
Beaglebone's, etc., are understandably targeting very recent versions, not
deprecated releases (such as the Asterisk 1.4.x tree).

However, porting app_rpt forward has some issues standing in the way. As I
see it, the chief issue is the fairly recent license model which Digium
requires developers to sign, if they with to have their code included with
the official software distributions. As many other developers have
remarked too, it gives me a bit of a rash! See it here:
https://issues.asterisk.org/jira/secure/DigiumLicense.jspa  ....I could
remark further, but, the webpage speaks for itself.  Yuck!

What I'm currently looking for is an alternative strategy which will allow
code to be included in the Digium source tree and resolve any "ownership"
concerns. This basically amounts to a simplistic channel driver and
application connector API to Asterisk, which would be included with
Asterisk under the contributor license. Then, all the actual radio-related
code falls into separate-from-Asterisk applications which connect to it
using the API. As a side effect, by putting the radio-related code in
stand-alone applications, other technical issues (such as hardware
drivers, etc.) are simplified, too.

Before I ramble on further, anyone got any thoughts about this?

73, David KB4FXC