[App_rpt-users] Transition of current Allstar node from ACID to Limey Linux and hardware compatibility

Bob kk6ecm at gmail.com
Fri Nov 22 04:44:52 UTC 2013

Bob here looking for some advice and/or suggestions.

We have an Allstar node with Echolink which operates using ACID (CentOS
release 5.5 (Final), updated Aug 2010) on a Mini-ITX (1.66 GHz Atom D510
processor and 30 MB/Sec compact flash for HDD via IDE interface) that is
somewhat unstable (features seem to come and go, ssh quits and requires
reboot, etc). We are using a URI interface to the duplex repeater. Reviewing
the Allstarlink.org website suggests using Limey Linux on a Mini-ITX for
stability. I have a few questions with regards to switching over to Limey
Linux;

1) Why is Limey Linux considered more stable (hardware, compatibility,
what)?
2) Should we switch in order to solve our instability issue?
3) What are the specifications for a "compatible motherboard"
(http://ohnosec.org/drupal/node/69), first paragraph)? (chip set?), current
motherboard - Giga-Byte GA-D510UD.
4) Is there a way of loading Limey Linux over ACID, or does it take a fresh
install - image the CF with Limey Linux and go through setup?

Thanks,
Bob
KK6ECM