[App_rpt-users] audio level

Ken ke2n at cs.com
Fri Aug 29 22:05:52 UTC 2014

"When I set my repeater up I used the automated method with a calibrated
service monitor.  I noticed it called for 3 kHz of audio. Finally got the
repeater on the air and the audio is a little soft compared what I'm used
to. I know I can adjust it but I assume this is done for a reason to keep
all of the repeaters sounding close to each other.
Any thoughts?"

The calibration routine gives you a test audio level that corresponds to 3
kHz deviation. Full scale deviation will be 5 kHz.  The lower level is used
(I imagine) to avoid running up against any limiter effect during that
calibration step.

If you really need more deviation then adjust for more than 3 at that step
in the procedure.  Of course, then you will get more than 5 on peaks. This
is the case when you are feeding the audio right into the modulator stage.

If you are using "mic audio" then the limiter built into in your transmit
radio will be affecting the deviation of the transmitted audio. You need to
find and adjust that. Or inject the audio in a different place where the
radio's limiter does not take effect.

73/GL
Ken
KE2N