[App_rpt-users] USB FOB options

Kevin Custer kuggie at kuggie.com
Thu Mar 6 13:47:44 UTC 2014

On 3/6/2014 12:15 AM, Steve Wright wrote:
> snarl.. just bought two CM-119 USB FOBs locally and they're potted...
>  tempted to fling them in the bin.. growl... Paint stripper, heat, and
> solvent won't get this snot off.. cue FBH but hey I have self control!!!!
>
> Ok what are my options?  This old POS 1990's computer has a parallel
> port.  Maybe easier to just get the proper USB FOB from elsewhere than
> hax0r up some parallel port lovin, but not keen on the absurd freight
> from the US.
>
> Suggestions? sigh.

The StarTech FOB is available at NewEgg.  A construction article and URL
to obtain the FOB is available in the link directly below:
http://www.repeater-builder.com/projects/fob/startech-fob.html

I've had excellent results obtaining (real) CM119 FOB's by searching on
eBay and Google for a SYBA product called SD-CM-UAUD71.
Every one I have purchased has been a leaded CM119 and included a
EEPROM, not that it's a necessity.  This device can be purchased for a
few dollars less - usually.
Here is one example, eBay item number: 380699698562

I'm in the process of writing a conversion article which will cover this
device and it will be available from the following index page when I get
it done:
http://www.repeater-builder.com/voip/voip-index.html

I have nothing to do with the companies listed above - their mention
exists because I am a satisfied customer.  I do NOT guarantee that what
YOU buy will be what I have received in the past.

Potted CM119's should be saved for remote receiver deployments where you
don't need to modify it.

Good Luck,
Kevin Custer