[App_rpt-users] Echolink_and_app_rpt:_Looking_for_m ore_information_on_permit=*-*

Doug Crompton doug at crompton.com
Fri Nov 14 07:04:24 UTC 2014

Skyler,

 You are absolutely right, there is no reason for the turf wars other than politics and peoples egos.

I don't think that Allstar has a policy against anything other than abiding by legal amateur radio practices and I think we police our networks well. You often hear the echolink audio quality statements on Allstar and in most cases it is true. Echolink originating on PC's with all kinds of crazy microphone arrangements often leads to bizarre and distorted audio. I have found that iphones, ipads, and other phones seems to work well and produce some of the best echolink audio. Even though we complain about it we still have an open policy on our end and welcome any and all (FCC) legal experimentation on our networks with any other digital format.

The reason Allstar is more open is because it is open source software not owned by anyone and for the most part not controlled but a private individual or group. Yes there are databases, webpage, software repsoitory maintained by individuals that freely give their time to do that but if one wanted to setup their own database and start another network they could. I am certainly not advocating that just using it as an example.  Of course you could start another completely different amateur VOIP network also. That is how all these were born in the first place. Someone had an idea and ran with it.

As for people going "private" on Allstar well that is their prerogative. Often it is done because it is a link or specific repeater system. That is the beauty of Allstar, you can configure it, add to it, change it, use it any way you like. I think there are more individual Allstar nodes recently coming online with the advent of the BBB and most are not private.

Both IRLP and Echolink are not open source and the code and networks are tightly controlled although they have very different philosophies.

Echolink claims to have superior control of keeping non-hams off the network. I really think this is a non-issue because I have not seen this problem on any network and when it does happen it is quickly taken care of. Echolink is probably 75% or more computer to computer. Echolink is really more like an amateur radio only Teamviewer or Skype although both of them have better audio quality.

To me IRLP is just bizarre in how it works and although I did use it I quickly realized it was not for me. It is run by one individual who (I guess) makes money on it as you have to buy a board from him before he assigns you a node number. It also has the policy of NO non-radio connections thus the beef with Allstar, although I think there was probably more to that though than the radio only issue. IRLP also is half duplex and only allows one connection at a time. They do have what they call reflectors that are special servers setup with the permission of Mr. IRLP which allow multiple connections. These reflectors become like repeaters, often very political with a single administrator that sets the rules, how long you can talk, who can connect, etc. Totally unlike Allstar's operation or philosophy.

Today, in the real world these systems are often interconnected even though IRLP and now Echolink claim to be autonomous networks. The Alaska Morning net which is on for 2 hours 6 days a week is a prime example where Allstar, IRLP, and Echolink are interconnected and there are many others.

And again I will repeat, as long as we are responsible, FCC rule abiding hams I don't think these interconnections are a problem and I am sure they will go on. This issue could be discussed to death and like politics and religion there will never be a consensus. These interconnection problems are not unique to amateur radio as everytime we have a disaster you always hear about one government agency not being able to talk to another because of radio systems not being compatible and it often boils down to a political (people) problem rather than an equipment problem. I think it is called life, why can't we all get along!

73 Doug
WA3DSP
http://www.crompton.com/hamradio