[App_rpt-users] Raspberry pi status -- a developer's view

David McGough kb4fxc at inttek.net
Fri Feb 6 16:38:01 UTC 2015

Hi Everyone,

It never fails to amaze me how these discussions get heated!

As one of the developers working on the BBB and other releases, I'll be
the first to say that we're ALWAYS looking forward to the next latest and
greatest platform to use! BUT, IT HAS GOT TO WORK AS WELL AS A PC! Nasty,
clicky, popping audio is NOT acceptable; not to me at least. So, I
wouldn't hint that a -marginal- platform is acceptable. As I imply, I'm
pretty fanatical about audio quality and reliability; as comparable to the
typical PC platform.

Mailing lists can be dangerous places. Prospective users may see a quick
blurb about a possible platform, smile, and dive in. Lets all try to be
good stewards about what AllStar platforms are realistically working.

So far, I've evaluated many inexpensive (less than $50) ARM-based boards.
Of all I've used so far, only the BBB (with SimpleUSB) provides excellent
performance.  Yes, the Odroid-C1 is pretty neat and has a very fast
CPU--I've got 3 of them sitting right in front of me. I've also already
got a customized Arch-based distro for them. But, NOPE, they are not yet
ready for the prime-time--not with the latest Arch Linux, at least! USB
with URI's is pretty broken at this point!!! But, hopefully that will
change.

Anyhow, where I'm going with this is that AllStar certainly needs
enthusiastic developers! But, we developers must remember that we have a
responsibility to make sure less experienced users don't fall into a
disappointing situation where they waste a few weeks of time only to end
up with an unacceptable result.

Just my $0.02.

73, David KB4FXC