[App_rpt-users] Multiple Echolink Server side

David McGough kb4fxc at inttek.net
Thu Jul 30 03:16:51 UTC 2015

Hi Loren,

I theory this would work, using one public address per Echolink instance.
In the server world this type of setup is basically known as multi-homing.

However, I don't think the AllStar Echolink driver was written where the
developer expected anyone to attempt to perform multi-homing. So, assuming
this is true (i.e.: Echolink driver not multi-home aware), the situation
is probably much more complicated....I won't delve into the gory technical
details of what's needed for multi-homing, but, very simplistically
speaking, the application must "remember" what IP address an inbound
request came from and then answer back using that same source address.

Minimally, I expect some significant NAT (network address translation)
trickery with a Linux firewall will be required to pull this off. I'm
working feverishly on other aspects of this project right now, but, I'll
put this on my list of things to look at, if no one else beats me to it.

And, I agree, this would be useful capability. I've got a couple repeaters
right now running on the same control PC and separate echolink
connectivity to each would be useful.

73, David KB4FXC