[App_rpt-users] Remote Bases with 16 channel radios?

Skyler F electricity440 at gmail.com
Wed Jun 10 13:53:02 UTC 2015

Has anybody ever created a remote base with a radio like the SM120 16
channel commercial radio? Would it be possible to use the URI to specify
the channel I want to go to, for example, hooking a GPIO pin to the
"channel -" button and hooking another to the "channel +" button? So if I
am on channel 1 and want to go to 7, the GPIO for "chan +" would have to
pulse 6 times.  That wouldn't be very reliable probably because there is no
confirmation that you are actually on the right channel, but this is how I
would do it:

When a channel change is requested, pulse 16 or more times on the "chan -"
button to make sure it is on channel 1. Then count the + button up to the
channel number you want to go to. That idea, however wouldn't work on the
SM120 because going below channel 1 brings you back to 16.

Another idea I have is put one channel on a frequency reference (maybe
those 150mhz re-broadcasts of radio stations?) and then find the channel
you want based on that reference.

Another idea yet would be to use a few more GPIO pins to see which elements
of the 7-segment displays are lit up and then make an estimate on which
channel you currently are on.

 Any other ideas?

73
Skyler kd0whb