[App_rpt-users] Cheapest node, works great!

Skyler F electricity440 at gmail.com
Wed Mar 18 14:39:32 UTC 2015

Who would think the baofeng would work so well, but I set up a cheap node
with a homebrew sound fob, and I got better audio reports than my Motorola
SM120!

I set up 2 baofengs so I could have a full duplex repeater for close range
(I don't have a duplexer, so the range is limited).

I used a VOX circuit for activation! The vox circuit will  even activate on
only a carrier , and was perfect for this. I decode tones in the radio then
use the COS pin on the homebrew FOB.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QopvHGM-9_k (vox circuit)

And thats it!

•USB sound fob $13.00 FREE shipping
•Baofeng - $40-50 (2x if you want full duplex)
•Computer- My grandpas old Pentium 4 Dell dimension 8400 FREE
•Parts for VOX and sound mod - Simple transistors found in my parts bin, or
could be salvaged off of broken electronics- FREE

Sound fob:
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16829128002&cm_re=icusbaudio-_-29-128-002-_-Product

Discriminator Audio is a MYTH and the baofengs make perfect portable nodes!
Great way to get on the AllStar air without paying a lot especially for
young hams like me :-)

Skyler KDØWHB

Skyler Fennell
amsatnet.info