[App_rpt-users] Voter delay and Asterisk question

Hayden Honeywood haydenph91 at gmail.com
Thu Aug 25 00:43:21 UTC 2016

Hi All,
I've been playing around with my voter boards recently that I've
constructed. I've been able to get the GPS and voting working, and
interfacing with Allmon to show voted stations.

I initially had DIAL running on an i7 with about 8GB of RAM. Way too much
and overkill, but it was all I had at the time. I did some limited testing
and it appears that I was able to put the buffer values as low as they
would go according to this page, as I was only testing on my local network
(3ms ping) -
http://ohnosec.org/drupal/node/195

I set TX buffer to 480 and the RX to 120. With the i7 I could not detect
any echo and switching was rather fast.
However I changed to a RPi3 using the same settings.

I can now hear some echo, especially if I let go of the button quickly.
Whilst it is preventable (leave a short silent gap), I would of thought
that over my local network with minimum values I would experience close to
zero echo. Perhaps the processing power of the Pi3 is now the holdup??

Also, when voice idents are made, the tail timer runs at the end of the
ident. This is not normal operation compared to most controllers, when an
ID is sent, it does so and the PTT drops at the end of the ID.
Can you also have more than one ID, for instance an initial ID when the
repeater hasn't been used in x amount of time, and a regular ID that is
used and inserted between conversations?

I also run all of my CTCSS encoders in a way that they follow receiver
activity (the Arcom RC-210 does this too). That way we can use it for
linking and avoid sending idents and courtesy tones/tails over links. Can
this be implemented in rpt.conf somewhere?

Regards
Hayden